Friday, January 16, 2009

Price of Pain

Not only is injury discouraging, its expensive too. You deal with the pain of running and then you deal with the pain of therapy - and pay for it too! What a bad deal that is.

Still sore and swollen in my shin I had another session with the Queen of Pain, Katie. My right leg is all torqued up and she has been ripping things apart trying to get them all to play nice with each other. I knew I was in for a tough one before we started as there is still swelling from the training in California earlier in the week and the plane ride only exasperated the situation. Not even compression socks could keep the leg from plumping up from the 16 hour trip. I was stunned to see my leg when I rolled off the socks when I got home. I had no idea it was so jacked up.
.
One of these legs is not like the other. Can you guess which one?

Katie pushed and pulled and eventually got to my shin and it was all I could to to keep from kicking her with my left leg. I know I need to let her in but it is really hard when she hits that hot spot and you tense up. She'd back off and I would tell her "I can take more if you need to". Of course I didn't want more, but she felt I had done well.
.
I really hope we are close. At $100 a pop I'd just as soon scrawl out a check for $1,000 and skip 10 massages and be good rather than this gradual process.

No comments: