Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm just trying to do my jigsaw puzzle

Running and training are constantly changing puzzles that require constant attention and evaluation. Just when you reach over to pick up the right piece, the puzzle has changed and you are forced to adjust your thinking and strategy. It's so rare that you actually get to place that final piece in to complete it.

Doug Horton
.
When you finally do fit all the pieces together and step back to admire your genius, pieces fall out and you are forced to start all over again. I think all runners are fated to be a modern day Sisyphus, cursed for eternity to roll a boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll down again. Fortunately, at least we get to travel different routes while rolling that boulder and make that journey a bit more interesting. But the time at the top is definitely short-lived. Much respect to those that manage to keep their little boulder at the top longer than most.
.
Lately, I've felt like Sisyphus has been on vacation and left his boulder in the middle of the road, keeping me from getting where I want to go. Good progress today, however, as I managed a quick six miles on the treadmill with a small amount on the flat. I was a bit rushed as I had another massage scheduled. If not for the time I would been able to go much longer. The combination of the run and massage leaves me feeling good about the coming days.
.
I better be getting better as I'm tired of paying for the pain I go through each time with Katie. Boy, you better bring your hard hat for one of her sessions. You are going to be at a big disadvantage because she is going to bring the pain whether you are ready or not. I think a anesthesiologist should be included in the appointment. It would be easier for all if Katie just knocked us out for an hour and went at it. And she says I'm good about letting her into my little muscles. I pity the others if that is the case.
.
.
One more piece connected.

No comments: