Friday, December 19, 2008

Just Rewards

I look at coming back from injury like drilling for oil or digging for gold. Both require effort, time and patience to get the smallest payoff. Having run well and been healthy in the past tells me that I can do it again and that the potential is under the surface ready to come out. I just need to dig for awhile to get to it.

Of course its nice to get a little glimmer of gold, even if its fool's gold to keep hope alive. In my case I know that years of training have developed a decent little resevoir I can tap into. Its always nice to hit that resevoir and suddenly see big improvement come quickly. One week you feel slow and sluggish and the next you hit that latent training from the past and feel like you are flying. A few years ago I was so beat down after three weeks of illness I started a program on January 1st of one mile followed by two miles on Jan. 2 and three on Jan. 3 and so on. I was so bad off I was literally cramping up after two miles on day 3. By mid-February I put in a 120 mile week (very unusual for me) while on vacation.

Today I managed a glimpse of the potential as I had my best session of running since October. I hit the Dome for some indoor running as I wanted to keep my leg warm and minimize any stress that might occur from running on the snow or ice. I was very surprised at my pace as I tried to run a good rhythm. I thought I was running 7:15 pace in the outer lanes but when I did a mile in lane one I found I was really running 6:40 pace for the hour run. My HR was running slightly high, but I felt in control and I know it will come down quickly as my body syncs up to consistant running. Right now I'd rather run good rhythm and shorter, than slow and long. As I've said before, I already know how to run slow.

Hopefully today was a glimpse of the reward I may achieve for hanging in there.

“I believe life is constantly testing us for our level of commitment, and life's greatest rewards are reserved for those who demonstrate a never-ending commitment to act until they achieve. This level of resolve can move mountains, but it must be constant and consistent. As simplistic as this may sound, it is still the common denominator separating those who live their dreams from those who live in regret.”

Anthony Robbins

1 comment:

Kelrock said...

Having the DOME is certainly a nice advantage but I think that even wit the dome available I may have opted to take a day off yesterday.

Your sessions are coming around and it seems that the rest day has helped get some spring in your step. More rest days spattered throughout the training cycle will keep you fresh.

I am off to brave the elements for some soothing tea,

Love Kel